When taking zoloft (sertraline) & klonopin for depression, anxiety, panic disorder, i know you should avoid alcohol, caffeine, chocolate. what about cigarettes& sugar?

9 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Probably Not: I know of no absolute contra indication relative to someone taking zoloft (sertraline) and Klonopin with nicotine and sugar consumption. Of course, I am sure you already know you should quit smoking and not eat too many sweets? Btw- i try and avoid Klonopin in my patients as it can be habit forming and difficult to stop, .

Answered 9/28/2016

5.7k views

Cigarettes: Smoking cab lower the blood levels of medications which may make them less effective.

Answered 1/31/2015

5.6k views

No good!: The tar in cigarettes can induce a liver enzyme 1a2, this should not affect the blood levels of zoloft (sertraline) or klonopin. However nicotine is a stimulant, and stimulants are not helpful for individuals with panic. Also emphysema, secondary to cigarettes is particularly unpleasant when you have panic. Refined sugar can lead to fluctuations in glucose exacerbating panic. Talk to dr. About quitting.

Answered 5/7/2016

5.6k views