Flushing, NY

whats the cause of patellofemoral pain? how do i stop the swelling from returning? other than the fluid in the joint the mri looks normal

Sports Medicine Dr.: Anterior knee pain (patello-femoral dysfunction) is a commonly seen "overuse" injury that can appear after a person increases his training, changes running surfaces, changes to different shoes, gets a separate leg injury that results in slight gait changes, gets some weakness in the quads, etc... A primary care, sports med, or orthopedic doctor's exam can help. Meanwhile, running less is helpful.
Dr. Keith Baldwin
Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery 15 years experience
Worn out cartilage: Patellofemoral pain (pfp) is caused by wearing out of the cartilage behind your kneecap. A joint can get irritated and fill with fluid, but have an otherwise normal mri. Generally activity modification and physical therapy is enough to treat this entity. In refractory cases a steroid injection may provide relief.