I dislocated my shoulder over a year ago i have had three injections and 49 weeks of physical therapy... i still have pain and weakness help!?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Check rotator cuff: Make sure you havenot torn your rotator cuff in addition to the dislocation.

Answered 8/10/2012

5.7k views

Dr. Daniel Mass answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

You have instability: If you have continued pain and weakness you have a chronic problem that needs to be fixed. You probably have internal damage leading to chronic instability. You need to seek out a shoulder expert and get an arthro-mri before surgery. Another possible problem is that you have already developed arthritis. This is a devastation problem for a young person.

Answered 8/18/2013

5.7k views

Surgery: At age 23, the most common "lesion" is detachment of the anterior labrum, or a bankart tear. Less commonly, you can tear the ligament from its humeral insertion, called a hagl lesion. Mri arthrogram can help, but it sounds like you are going to require a shoulder arthroscopy. Rotator cuff tear, while possible, is less likely. Good luck!

Answered 7/5/2013

5.7k views