what should i know if i am in remission from cancer and i want to get pregnant?

Dr. Sheila Goodman
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Meet with oncologist: There are very different answers depending on the type of cancer. Cancers like breast or melanoma will be stimulated by the hormones of pregnancy. Some cancers have treatments that would be ok during pregnancy while others can spread through the placenta to the baby. Meeting with both your oncologist and your OB to discuss the risks to you and the pregnancy is important. Good luck.
Dr. David Kwon
Surgical Oncology 18 years experience
Make an appointment: Make sure you get in touch with your medical oncologist who can tell you about the risks and benefits of trying to get pregnant. They will provide you the most up-to-date information with conceiving a child.
Dr. Sameer Gupta
Medical Oncology 18 years experience
Talking to your medical oncologist or treating physician as soon as pregnancy is suspected or confirmed is the recommended thing to do..most women should be fine but individual situations may need close attention/ follow-up
Feb 4, 2013
Dr. David Kornguth
Radiation Oncology 20 years experience
Talk to your Onc: Many women have had baby's when in remission. Please talk to your medical oncologist before attempting to get pregnant. There are some issues you need to know.