what are the complications of amputating toe?

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
Not many.: If it is the large toe, one would have difficulty propulsing but definately still able to walk. If it is a second toe, the large toe can drift towards the third. When possible, the surgeon might try to leave the base of a second toe could act as a spacer.
Dr. Johnnie Alston
Podiatry 15 years experience
Wound healing: If the surgical site is not closed then wound healing is the biggest problem. If the site is closed and you heal normally, there really are not many complications. You may get some deviation of the lesser digits depending on which toe was amputated. When the great toe is apmutated you may experience some balance probelms at first but generally recover quickly and lead a normal life.