what are the reasons one would have to get their gallbladder removed?

Dr. Yash Khanna
GALL BLADDER SURGERY: You need to have gall bladder removed are following 1 gall stones and its complications 2 acute cholecystitis 3cancer of gall bladder 4 trauma to gall bladder not indicated in asymptomatic gall stones as only 2-3% of gall stone patients become symptomatic so follow calculi>3cm in diameter in ares with high incidence ofcancer chronic blocked cystic duct non functioning gb calcififiedgb polyp>10mm.
Dr. Jeffrey Clemens
General Surgery 37 years experience
Several: Most common is "biliary colic", which is pain in the right upper abdomen and gallstones on an ultrasound test. Second would be a nonfunctioning gallbladder, which is detected on a HIDA scan. Unexplained thickening of the gallbladder wall or a large polyp of the gallbladder, or a "calcified" wall of the gallbladder are also reasons. Gallbladder stones without any symptoms is generally not a reason.