why have i been put on cortef (hydrocortisone) for adrenal insufficiency?

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Hydrocortisone: Cortef (hydrocortisone) is the closest oral medication available to replace your own cortisol, the depleted hormone in adrenal insufficiency. It also has a shorter half life which makes it easier to control in terms of dosing and potential side effects.
Dr. Samuel Freedman
Cortef (hydrocortisone): Adrenal insuffiency causes a lack of cortisol in the body. Cortex is a form of replacement. Oral Hydrocortisone is the usual treatment choice.