Fremont, CA

I'm an extremely fit and healthly person, who is a track athlete. blood test results showed that my h1c is at 5.9, which seemed high and alarming (normal is 4 - 5.7). my 12 hr fasting level was excellent and i do limit my sugar intake. my mother is dia

Dr. Claude Parola
Not to arlam: You are probably aware to the fact that you have a risk factor to become diabetic, but this does not necesarily mean you will become one , you should continue doing the excercise, have a healthy diet, avoid soft drinks, pastries, keep a healthy weight and have a regular check up.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
30 years experience
Diabetes scree: Treat the patient, not the number. I prefer a fit, proactive person with bmi of 30, with good eating habits than an unfit, bacon-eating person with a bmi of 20. Normal fasting sugar is <100, and A1c <5.7. Central obesity is a risk factor for diabetes. Your result is not alarming. Keep taking care of yourseld with good lifestyle discipline.
Last updated Sep 28, 2016