what will cause a pulmonary embolism besides surgery?

Dr. Mazen Ghani
Radiology 24 years experience
Pulmonary embolism: Has also be associated with extended travel (sitting in a car, airplane, train, etc), hospitalization or prolonged bed rest, smoking, birth control pills, cancer, pregnancy, genetic predisposition most commonly factor v leiden deficiency, protein c or protein s deficiencies and Antithrombin iii deficiency.
Dr. George Ciechanowski
Pulmonary Critical Care 40 years experience
Immobility: Prolonged immobility i.e. Air travel or other can cause thrombosis and then embolization to the lungs.
Dr. Rada Ivanov
Pulmonary Critical Care 31 years experience
Many other things: Genetic predisposition, autoimmune diseases such as lupus, cancer, smoking, birth-control pills to name a few.