A member asked about a 29-year-old female:

66yr/ m congestive heart failure, stroke, pulmonary embolism, then 2nd massive hemorrhagic stroke, surgery to repair, fell into coma. prognosis?

Dr. Andrea Brand
Specializes in Family Medicine
Guarded: I am sorry for this situation. No one can say for sure what will happen, but from your description, I think the prognosis would be guarded.
Dr. Susan Arnoult
Not great: Depending on the patient's health prior to these events, recovery will be slow at best. All the things you mentioned are major medical problems and to have all of them at once is very taxing for the body.
Dr. Andrea Rodgers
29 years experience
Difficult to say: Hi Ann, It all depends on how big the stroke was and the success of the surgery. I am assuming the surgery was performed to release pressure on his brain. Each day that he does not respond after the pressure was released, the prognosis worsens. I wish I could tell you otherwise but given his other illnesses the longer he remains in a coma the chances of his recovery decrease.
Last updated Jul 19, 2019