should we trust the fda after they approved silicone breast implants?

Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarberaanswered
Yes: The fda uses all the current information available when recommendations are made. Sometimes, after more information is obtained, and more people under go a procedure, or use a medication, new information arises.
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics 41 years experience
FDA approval: The fda "provisionally" approved the implants. The issue I have is the implant makers have not fully complied with the follow-up of patients getting the implants. While I do believe that implants are generally safe for most people, there are still concerns about them. Adequate reporting to fda by physicians and pts is needed, there is a rare type of lymphoma linked to implants. See fda.Gov for ++.
Dr. Otto Placik
Plastic Surgery 34 years experience
Best we have: I understand your concerns. However, while the fda may be questioned, it is genrally the best agency available in most developed nations to control and regulate the distribution of drugs and food. While i may have many criticisms of the fda, it does provide some degree of protection with a relative degree of limited bias. One of the primary problems is the prohibitive cost of evaluation.
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics 41 years experience
I do agree with the FDA being the best we have..... but they do have the authority to suspend the approval of a med or device etc. if the company that produces them is not compliant with provisional approval statutes. Please see the website FDA.gov search breast implants and the current recommendations. The breast implant industry is just that, an industry, that deserves scrutiny. Is it a wonder, that we don't see an industry that advertises silicone penis implants to the public?
Jul 22, 2012
Dr. Patti Flint
Plastic Surgery 32 years experience
Best option?: The new "gummy bear" implants have been available for years, and offer the patient more choices. But are they better? During the trial period, i was one of the post-operative investigators who examined patients with gummy bear implants. After viewing the results of many augmentations with these implants, i identified the following issues that don’t match well with my ideal aesthetic result: nat.
Dr. Matthew Schulman
Plastic Surgery 21 years experience
Yes: Breast implants are the most extensively studied medical device in the history of medicine. Everything in life has risks, but the risk associated with breast implants are very small. I would have no problem placing these implants in my wife or daughter. http://www.drschulmanplasticsurgery.com/breast/breast-augmentation/.