U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 26-year-old member asked:

I have a high metabolism and difficulty in gaining weight in the upper body area. all the fat gets concentrated on my lower body and thighs. what diet and exercise is required to change this?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Steven Charlap
Holistic Medicine 39 years experience
Weight training: You can build muscle mass in that area of the body by engaging in a systematic program of increased weigh training for the upper body. Best to start with a trainer. Avoid protein shakes, but eat healthy proteins, from nuts and beans, after each work-out.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Dec 28, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.