is intestinal obstruction an early symptom of colon cancer?

Dr. Ritesh Rathore
Hematology and Oncology 30 years experience
No: Usually this is a sign that it is a large cancer that has grown over time and is ending up blocking the colon and causing obstruction.
Dr. Anthony Back
Medical Oncology 37 years experience
Sometimes: Obstruction can be a sign of colon cancer, but obstruction can also occur for non-cancer reasons. A common non-cancer reason is adhesions, which are caused usually by scar tissue from previous surgery.
Dr. Jeffrey Crespin
Gastroenterology 28 years experience
No: This is more commonly a late symptom of colon cancer. It is almost impossible to obstruct for right sided colon cancer. Intestinal obstruction can presnet with a changes in bowel habits or constipation.
Dr. Anthony Back
Medical Oncology 37 years experience
This is a better answer than the one i wrote below!
Jul 16, 2012