A member asked:

I have a protruding sternum, is there anything that can be done?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Depends ? not worth: You probably want to consult a thoracic surgeon. This may be a case of a treatment being worse than the problem. You want to have a good exam to make sure your anatomy is not just a normal variation. This would be major surgery on your body, and you want to do it only if you have something to gain for your health. Yours is not indented, but that was one of the closest links to pick from.

Answered 3/2/2016


Dr. Troy Reyna answered

Specializes in Pediatric Surgery

Yes: A protruding sternum also known as "pigeon chest" or pectus carinatum can be traeted by means of an external pressure brace. These are made by a licensed orthotist. If used afithfully will cause resolution in 3-6 months. Sometimes surgery may be required if the defect is assymetric.

Answered 11/28/2017



Related Questions

A member asked:

Why my chest protruding..I'm just 16 years oldwhat should I do?

A doctor has provided 1 answer

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor