I have a protruding sternum, is there anything that can be done?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Depends ? not worth: You probably want to consult a thoracic surgeon. This may be a case of a treatment being worse than the problem. You want to have a good exam to make sure your anatomy is not just a normal variation. This would be major surgery on your body, and you want to do it only if you have something to gain for your health. Yours is not indented, but that was one of the closest links to pick from.

Answered 3/2/2016

5.7k views

Dr. Troy Reyna answered

Specializes in Pediatric Surgery

Yes: A protruding sternum also known as "pigeon chest" or pectus carinatum can be traeted by means of an external pressure brace. These are made by a licensed orthotist. If used afithfully will cause resolution in 3-6 months. Sometimes surgery may be required if the defect is assymetric.

Answered 11/28/2017

5.7k views