A member asked:

I have a protruding sternum and noticed it since i was about 12 now i'm 28 and notice it's getting worse and at time causing aches. what are my option?

A doctor has provided 1 answer
Dr. Katherine Caldwell answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

It sounds like what you have is: pectus carinatum. It doesn't cause any medical problems or shorten your life. In extreme cases, it can be corrected surgically. Or there are braces you can try, which may alleviate your discomfort. Typically it stops changing after you stop growing as a teenager, but a specialist can take measurements and fit a brace.

Answered Mar 21, 2016



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor