Anderson, IN

there is something on the back of my heel that sticks out like a mound. it is very hard like bone. cardio exercise bothers it. solutions and options?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Specializes in Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Great Q 4 POD, ORTHO: I referred this question to experts in foot care from podiatry and orhtopedic surgery. Thanks for asking. From all of the answers provided, it appears that it might be time for a visit to a foot specialitst to confirm a diagnosis and prescribe therapy, exercise options and proper shoes.
Dr. Brandon Macy
Podiatry 41 years experience
"Pump-bump": An enlargement on the back of the heel is commonly a combination of swelling from a mild achilles tendonitis, possibly in combination with a posterior spur, or and enlargement of the bone known as a "pump bump". It is a slow healing process that responds to a combination of heel lifts, stretching, ice, oral antiinflammatory meds and in our office, laser therapy. Other pt modlaities are also used.
Dr. James Goetz
Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery 31 years experience
Pump bump: A type of heel spur called a haglunds deformity or pump bump.
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry 14 years experience
Achilles exostosis: Sounds from the location that you may have bone formation in the insertion of the achilles tendon. A specialist for the foot and ankle can better evaluate this for you and offer you treatment options.
Dr. Rudolf Zak
Podiatry 19 years experience
Retro heel spur : It's called a retrocalcaneal heel spur. Initially treated by stretching the calf muscle getting fitted for orthotics and physical therapy. I would limit any activity with incline. If you still have pain then it can be surgical addressed. Recovery is about two months.
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Podiatry 41 years experience
Spur: You may have a bone spur on the back of your heel. It would be bothered by the shoe as your foot moves up & down in the shoe. Try to put a pad around the bump and see if this helps by removing pressure. You should probably have it x-rayed to see the exact cause.