My mom is in the hospital in icu and has acute renal failure and ards, what is prognosis?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

Speak w/ icu doc...: There are some calculators that have been developed to predict mortality in the icu. These are for specific populations and may not pertain to your mother, but it'd be good to discuss more in depth with your mother's ICU doctor. One of these measures is called the apache score. A more indepth conversation should involve goals of care, and how invasive your mother would want medical care to be.

Answered 12/14/2014

5.8k views

Dr. William Walsh answered

Specializes in Addiction Medicine

Depends: While there are clinical prediction calculators for severe illnesses, they are developed for populations and not individuals. Your mother's prior state of health and the cause of her ARDS and kidney failure will inform her chances. That said, two organ failure is a poor sign, but is not insurmountable.

Answered 6/10/2014

5.4k views