i twisted my ankle. on the 1st day, i didn't work. after that, i did. i hiked n retwisted. now its been swollen for over a week and black n blue. could it be broke?

Dr. Oliver Wang
Podiatry 10 years experience
Possibly however: The increased bruising may mean more damage whether it is soft tissue or bone. Generally if you can walk and apply full weight on the ankle than it probably is not broken however avulsion fractures of the distal fibula can occur which can complicate things. Best to see a specialist for x-rays when in doubt.
Dr. Robert Lim
Podiatry 30 years experience
Break or sprain: Yes it is possible to break a bone, ligament or cartilage. If you cannot put weight on it then you should at least get an x-ray to check the bones. If the x-ray is negative for a bone fracture then you probably damaged ligaments and/or possibly cartilage. An MRI would show these areas. See an ankle specialist to get the best evaluation and treatment options.
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Podiatry 41 years experience
Yes: You should probably have an x-ray taken, especially since this is a 2nd injury to the same area.
Dr. Brandon Macy
Podiatry 41 years experience
Need an x-ray: You can't determine a fracture without an x-ray. Black and blue can be from a sprain of the ligaments or a fracture. Even if it is "just" a sprain, having it examined and treated professionally can get you back to normal sooner and more comfortably.