When are the best times to check my blood sugar levels to manage my diabetes?

Dr. Richard Shewbridge
Endocrinology 33 years experience
It depends!: You should discuss this with your personal physician. Generally, a fasting reading is valued because it speaks to how your sugar level is after a period of overnight fasting. Other before-meal readings are also valued. Harder to remember to check are 2 hour after-meal readings, which show how a meal has affected your glucose level. If you've splurged, you may be surprised at how high it is!
Dr. Laura Arbogast
Am : I have my patients check their sugar levels first thing in the monring before eating and also 2 hours after one of their meals if they're not on insulin. If they're on Insulin then it's am and before all meals and bedtime.

Last updated Feb 9, 2017