U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 19-year-old male asked:

My girlfriend and i have head lice and recently ive noticed one in my pubic hair wich surprised me how do i proceed? it didn't look like a crab

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Neigatha Graney
Pediatrics 39 years experience
Treat For Head Lice: There are 3 types of lice: head, body, & pubic. Pubic (crab) have distinctive appearance from other two. Head & body lice appear similar but head are smaller. Head lice are best suited for survival in scalp environment; can be found elsewhere on body but they do not thrive in these areas. Suggest treating scalp w/ over-the-counter head lice medication. See doctor if more lice appear in pubic area.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 27 years experience
Head lice: The type of louse that causes head lice, isn't well suited for the pubic area. It will probably migrate away. Regarding the head lice- Tx of lice requires accurate identification of nits & lice. Pediculicide is usually used- OTC like Nix or RID or prescription meds like lindane or malathion. Work through hair & remove individual nits. Purchase special lice nit comb. Check for nits & remove as
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Nov 3, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.