i've been on synthroid (thyroxine) for about 13 years and i only felt good a small portion of that time. is armour thyroid worth a try? my labs are good but i have all the hypo symptoms

3 doctor answers
Dr. Christopher Balgobin
Hypothyroidism : there are other options of thyroid supplementation out there. Check TSH, T3, (liothyronine) T4, and rT3
Answered on Dec 17, 2019
Dr. Donald Colantino
Thyroidologist: An endocrinologist or thyroidologist would be best qualified to evaluate and treat you. If proper doses of thyroid supplement are used, any symptoms you have would most likely be attributed to a nonthyroid issue. Synthroid (thyroxine) is usually preferred over old fashioned armour dessicated thyroid.
Answered on Jan 16, 2015
Dr. Homer Lassiter
Specializes in Family Medicine
Low dose T3 (liothyronine): The symptoms of hypothyroidism can also be found in other conditions so further evaluation would be in order if TSH is normal. That being said, the addition of a low dose of liothyronine (T3) sometimes results in an improved sense of well being in hypothyroid patients.
Answered on Dec 17, 2019