What meds can i take if i'm allergic to penicillin?

Dr. Joram Seggev
Specializes in Allergy and Immunology
It depends.: only 10 Of 100 people who claim to be allergic to penicillin really are. Amoxicillin can cause a rash directly. Reaction to an IM injection does not prove allergy. A reaction to penicillin tablets or IV infusion suggests allergy. Most other antibiotics and certain cephalosporins are safe. Not sure - see an allergist/immunologist.
Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 57 years experience
Many: You need to avoid penicillin and amoxicillin plus a few related drugs but other antibiotics can usually be tolerated. Cephalosporin cross-sensitivity is possible (as much as 10%) but I have rarely seen one in my practice. The cross-sensitivity in the newer generations of cephalosporin is even rarer.
Dr. Jay Kashkin
Allergy and Immunology 38 years experience
Anything not PCN ok.: Actually the incidence of a true IgE mediated reaction to Penicillin is less than 1% of the population at large. Thankfully there are many alternatives to penicillin for treating susceptible organisms. The big question that occurs almost always is can a penicillin allergic pt be given a cephalosporin . The true incidence of real crossover sensitivity to "cephalo's" is anywhere from 0.5% to 10%