I fell last night on my face and my bottom lip is extremely swollen and bruised. there is also a cut from my tooth puncturing my lip. what should i do?

8 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Susan Rhoads answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Ice: After 4-8 hours, it is too late for stitches (not that these are always necessary). Get a tetanus shot within 72 hours if you are not current. Ice as needed (30 minutes max, off an hour) for comfort. Tylenol (acetaminophen) for pain. If you have a loose tooth or increasing pain or signs of concussion get seen today. Otherwise, rinse mouth with warm salt water 4 times/day and try to avoid getting food into the cut.

Answered 11/28/2014

3.5k views

Dr. Glynis Ablon answered

Specializes in Dermatology

See doctor as: you may need stitches and this needs to be done within 24 hours of injury, also use ice.

Answered 11/28/2014

3.5k views

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Be seen: Sometimes a fall and cut like that may not require stitches, but it is very possible it may, so see someone right away so that the healing will not be jeopardized.

Answered 11/28/2014

3.5k views

Dr. Frances Ilozue answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Get checked: I assume you're not bleeding and not in acute distress. If your PCP is not available to access your injury today, go to Urgent care or ER.

Answered 4/24/2016

3.5k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Trauma to the lip: is quite common. If not bleeding rinsing 4-6 times per day with warm salt water, NSAIDs OTC or Tylenol, (acetaminophen) and apply Ambesol. Small puncture wounds in the lip usually heal without any treatment other than home remedies.

Answered 11/27/2014

3.5k views