U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom
A 35-year-old male asked:

My doctor doesn't want me on ms contin (morphine) as he feels i may become tolerant or addicted. my doctor is excellent, just wanted second opinion. any thought?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mitchell Cohn
Pain Management 37 years experience
Yes: Developing tolerance to an opiate is inevitable.It's a normal physiological event.This is NOT addiction which is a craving for more meds beyond what is reasonable for pain control leading to deceptive/destructive behavior.Truth is, more people appear to have 'addictive behavior' when insufficient opiates are used;then they request more which scares the dr.Oxycontin is a good med when used right.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 38 years experience
Agree w/ your doctor: As opposed to many other medications used in pain, opioids do not cause organ damage with long-term use. But because of concerns about tolerance, physical dependence and addiction, many health professionals are still reluctant to prescribe opioids for chronic pain.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 35-year-old male asked:
Can MS Contin (morphine) be used alongside Butrans patch ?
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 35-year-old male asked:
Is MS Contin (morphine) a good med for chronic nerve pain ?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 47-year-old member asked:
What's better, hydrocodone 10/325 vs MS contin (morphine) 30mg?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Nov 28, 2014
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.