U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Portland, OR
A 25-year-old male asked:

Black spot visible in lower right corner of vision. right eye. same spot. visible 50% time. specialist says nothing on retina. thoughts?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Donald Colantino
Internal Medicine 62 years experience
Retina specialist: I recommend that you be evaluated by a retina specialist if this spot is persistent and inquire as to what he/she thinks the significance and nature of the black spot is. Only then will you feel reassured.
Dr. Maulik Shah
Clinical Genetics 25 years experience
Eye Floater: You are describing an eye floater which is caused by an irregularity in the vitreous gel of the eye. The fact that your retinal exam is normal is good news as the irregularity is in the vitreous rather than the retina. Floaters are not dangerous and are just irritating. They normally do not require treatment but if it bothers you a Vitrectomy may be an option
Last updated Sep 29, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.