On zanax 7 years. tappered myself from 1mg 3x's a day down to 2 a day. doctor will not help me taper lower. i want off this med. help please.

Dr. John Munshower
Xanax (alprazolam): As you know, Xanax (alprazolam) is a medication most commonly used for anxiety. As the patient, assuming "of sound mind and body," you do not have to take the medication and can wean yourself off of it. My concern is why your treating Doctor does not want you to go off it and/or will not help you to go off of it. Discuss this with him/her and reinforce your desire to be off of it. Best wishes.
Dr. Carrie Cannon
Xanax (alprazolam) taper: Drop back to 0.5mg in the morning 1mg in the evening for 7 days then to 0.5mg twice daily for a week and taper from there in similar fashion as tolerated for sleep and anxiety. Depending on why it was started, a safer idea would be an SSRI like celexa or Zoloft (sertraline) or Klonopin twice daily. May need to find another doctor or a second opinion or ask for a specialty consult. I commend your efforts.

Last updated Dec 31, 2016