A 34-year-old female asked about a female:

I got my infant her ears pierced 3 m ago. i noticed some scar tissue above one of the pierced earlobes.can that be a keloid? can it go away naturally?

Dr. Lori Semel
Keloid ear pierce: It sounds like it is keloid and generally they do not go away naturally. If it is not interfering with her earring, I would not remove it as it may be difficult to re-pierce at a later time.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Lori Semel
Dr. Lori Semel commented
Provided original answer
The keloid by the way will not resolve at this point if you remove the earring!
Oct 26, 2014
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Yes and probably not: You are probably right about the Keloid if you are familiar with them and you think it might look like one. It might be more likely to resolve without the foreign body in there. Keloids tend not to go away; they tend to be a problem. If this were my baby, especially if your family has tendency to "keloid" I'd take them out.
Last updated Oct 31, 2014