i had a prenatal screening for down syndrome in my fetus and my results was 1:182. does that mean my baby have ds. plz help.

2 doctor answers
Dr. Lois Freisleben-Cook
41 years experience Pediatrics
Not necessarily: The figure 1:182 is used in conjunction with other findings to assess the risk. Your age, your family history, ultrasound findings and many other factors come into play. No single result can determine with certainty that your baby has DS short of amniocentesis or chorionic villous biopsy chromosome analysis. Please discuss your concerns with your OB and ask for clarification of all tests
Answered on Oct 24, 2014
Dr. Joseph Oh
Dr. Joseph Oh answered
15 years experience Pediatrics
No: Prenatal screening for conditions such as Down syndrome are simply estimates of how likely it is (in this case, a 1 in 182 chance). The accuracy depends on which test was used, when it was performed, and as with all tests, there are false positives and false negatives. If you want to have a better idea, you may want to consider amniocentesis or CVS (chorionic villus sampling).
Answered on Oct 23, 2014