Bountiful, UT
A 22-year-old female asked about a 51-year-old male:

my dad had back surgery 3 weeks ago, they went through the front, he still can't talk normal is this normal & is there anyway to get it back faster?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Talk or walk?: If he can't talk normal 3 weeks after surgery, he might need to be worked up for possible stroke. If he can't walk normal, it varies. As long as he does not have a neuro deficit, therapy and further time is the typical course. If he has some weakness in his legs, he may need more tests to see the cause. Let your surgeon know he is not doing well.