Orange Park, FL

My 5 yr old son had bright red blood in his stool twice this week. blood was on toilet paper and some drops in toilet water. no other symptoms.

Dr. Oscar Novick
Blood in stool: Your child may have passed ahard stool and developed an anal fissure?Adiet change with increased fiber and decreased milk and milk products is necessary. Also drinking 6- 8 glasses of water may help For the fissure hav your childsit in a bathtub for 20 30 minutes several times a day. Apply an anti hemorroidal salve after the baths
Dr. Larry Xanthopoulos
Blood in stool: Most likely given the way the blood appeared it is probably constipation. Other possibility is hemorrhoids, although less likely at this age. I would try stool softeners and if this does not improve in 1-2 weeks go to doctor

Last updated May 3, 2015