U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Ocala, FL
A 17-year-old female asked:

Ive been told by my doctor i need to gain weight. i have a very fast metabolism. how do i get myself at the correct weight without losing it in a min?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Carlos Barrios
Child Psychiatry 25 years experience
The best approach: really should be for your primary care physician to refer you to a nutrionist to crack some numbers based on what to eat for your caloric intake versus expenditures (exercise). And by the way, even if your thyroid looks OK on initial screening tests, a referral to an hormonal specialist aka endocrinologist would be completely appropriate if weight loss is excessive. Take care.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 18, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.