will weight have an effect on healing of broken tibia? fractured with a rod. walk on it, but it hurts. i am an obese 40 yr old female

Being obese: means that we are putting extra weight/stress on our body. This especially impacts weight bearing bones and joints. The more morbid the obesity - the more this can impact. So, being a healthy weight would be a +. Take care.
Dr. Steven Morgan
Orthopedic Surgery 30 years experience
Obesity Tibia: Putting load on a fracture stimulates bone formation. Bone is simple if it feels stress it tends to make bone. If there is no stress you loose bone mass. When you bear weight and have pain it is likely related to small amount of motion at the fracture site. This discomfort should improve as the bone heals. The tibia is a slow healing bone.
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Followup: Your surgeon knows the specifics of your fracture type and also about your weight. It is best to follow his (or her) specific recommendations. Some tibia fractures we let weight beat as tolerated and others we keep non weight bearing. It is based largely on fracture type, but a patients weight can also affect our recommendations. Check with your surgeon.