My daughters pediatrician recommended 1tsp dimatapp cold and cough for my14monthold..is that the right dose? she is almost 27lbs

Dr. Lonnie Smith
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 40 years experience
Check again with ped: You should ask your pediatrician again the dosages for children less than 6 years old are not listed. So can't give you the recommended dosage.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral 51 years experience
Agree.
Oct 9, 2014
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Your answer is very politic. Mine isn't, but it's what I'd tell my daughters if their pediatricians were to recommend cold medicines for my grandsons under 6, because their safety is of utmost importance to me. There's always the 2% that doesn't get the memo.
Oct 9, 2014
Dr. Melissa Gowans
Bad idea to give to children! Contact your pediatrician and clarify with them before giving any medicine that you are unsure about.
Oct 11, 2014
Dr. Johanna Fricke
The American Academy: of Pediatrics' position is that cold medicines are not effective for children < 6 & their use & misuse can cause serious adverse side effects. The FDA's public health advisory of Jan. 2008 states children < 2 should not be given cold medications because of serious & life-threatening side-effects. http://www.aap.org/en-us/professional-resources/practice-support/Pages/Withdrawal-of-Cold-Medicines
Okay: Dimetapp is unlikely to do much and most of us do not recommend any of these combination meds for kids with colds/congestion. That said, dimetapp has been around since the late 70's (at a higher concentration) where it was used routinely as a prescription med. This dose of the present formulation is not unusual for a 27 lb kid.I personally prefer it over vapo-rubs and other such treatments.

Last updated Nov 29, 2014