Westville, NJ

I'm a terrible eater. ( vegetarian ) but eat mostly carbs. blood work says vit d and b12 really low again but if he tested for all vit i bet all low .

Dr. Philip Kern
Endocrinology 45 years experience
Vitamin blood levels: Vit D is often low unless you get sun exposure or consume dairy. B12 is found in meat/eggs/dairy. Vegans can get low B12 from diet; but beware Pernicious Anemia. Iron may be an issue if no iron intake (meat, eggs). It is ok to be a vegetarian, but you will need to pay attention to some vits / minerals that are commonly found in animal products. Talk to your doc or dietician.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Pathology 46 years experience
This is serious: I agree with my colleagues, and I cannot over-emphasize the seriousness of your situation. Despite all the huckstering, the decision to become a vegetarian is a moral one rather that will make you healthy. And the low B12 level, which is probably due to your eating habits, may already have begun to cause brain damage. Get with a skilled physician and either supplement or reconsider diet limits.
Last updated Nov 11, 2014