U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 31-year-old member asked:

My daughter just got her ears pierced now one is infected. what should we do?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Oscar Novick
Pediatrics 59 years experience
Ear piercing: remove the infected ear ring and apply antibiotic ointment to the affected area several times a day. It may take several weeks to heal and a new hole may need to be made
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics and Pediatric Pulmonology 37 years experience
Infection ear lobe: If the ear lobe is tender, red, swollen and if there is any pus, it would be best to consult with your physician. Washing the area with 70% rubbing alcohol and applying neosporin ointment can generally be helpful. It is also important to remove the earring for now until the ear lobe has healed. Please check and treat any fever 101 or higher and consult with your physician. Antibiotics may be rxd.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 50-year-old member asked:

Could use your help docs! my daughter just got her ears pierced now one is infected!?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Barry Marged
A Verified Doctoranswered
45 years experience
Different choices: We do get better from most infections without antibiotics, but it generally takes longer, and once in a while the infection exacerbates and becomes a serious problem. A topical antibiotic and local heat MAY resolve the issue. Your family doc or pediatrician might prescribe an antibiotic. Certainly worsening redness, swelling, pain and/or high fever should prompt a prompt visit to your doc
Last updated May 12, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.