U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked about a 65-year-old male:

My husband has a shorty mediastinal adenopathy. is this something to worry about. had neck cancer 1 year ago had treatments and surgery ?

3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Warren Everett
Specializes in Family Medicine
Ask doctor: it needs to be compared to what he was like previously so your treating doctor is in the best postion to determine this. Shotty adenopathy is very nonspecific and is usually not indicative of anything particular, so your treating doctor's opinion is the best. Don't be surprised if the doctor is non-committal as we usually just don't know.
Dr. Herbert Hoover
- Select Specialities - 52 years experience
It could be serious: If your husband had neck cancer treated just one year ago and now has even small lymph node enlargement in his mediastinum, it needs to be checked out. A biopsy may be needed. You should have him return to see his cancer specialist. Hopefully, the nodes are just Inflammed. Good luck!!!
Dr. Daniel Rosenblum
Specializes in Hematology and Oncology
Need to know: "Shotty" mediastinal lymphadenopathy sounds like an X-ray, CT-scan, or MRI reading. Get a copy of the films, take them to his oncologist, and make sure he explains the possibilities. Comparison with previous exams might be extremely helpful. If a radiologist is available to look at these with you, that would help, too. They might be cancer, but the might be inflammatory (harmless).

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Mar 12, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.