U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Asbury Park, NJ
A 53-year-old female asked:

Taking ms contin (morphine) for chronic pain. i'm allergic to it. can you suggest an alternative pain medication other than oxy, perc, vicodin?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Tamar Jeffery
Emergency Medicine 17 years experience
Herbs: Medicinal cannabis if it is legal in your state is an alternative to narcotic pain medications. Also eating a more alkaline diet my help. Acupuncture. Deep meditation. There are various herbs but this is not my specialty. Recommend following up with a pain management specialist and/or homeopathic specialist. There are also doctors of natural medicine possibly in your area.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Robert Grindstaff
Addiction Medicine 40 years experience
Chronic pain: most narcotics are relates to one of the meds mentioned MS Contin (morphine). oxy, percocet or vicodin one suggestion may be tapentadol which belongs to a different family structurally from other opioids
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 35-year-old male asked:
Is MS Contin (morphine) a good med for chronic nerve pain ?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 35-year-old male asked:
If MS Contin (morphine) works for my chronic pain, is it considered a good long term option ?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
What pain meds can I take if I'm allergic to vicodin, percocet, morphine, darvocet, and codeine?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Sep 20, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.