A 24-year-old female asked:

Ive had a chalazion for about 8months ive seen different doctors and they all tell me to put warm compressors but it gets worse when i do that?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Philip Ewing
Pediatrics 21 years experience
Ophthalmologist: Ask for a referral to an ophthalmologist. Warm compresses are first line therapy and antibiotics are sometimes indicated. However, a persistent or recurrent chalazion needs to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist so that you can determine whether a surgery is needed. In the meantime, continue warm compresses and pain control with OTC meds as needed.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Olakitan Akinjagunla
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Referral: You should see an ophthalmologist for definitive treatment such as surgical incision if all temporary measures have failed. Adhere to daily lid hygiene and avoid UV exposure by using sun glasses and hats to prevent reccurence
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 44-year-old female asked:
Hi doc just want to ask how much it cost when i get my chalazion remove? Thanks a lot .
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 36-year-old member asked:
How long should I wait to see a doctor about this stye or chalazion?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
Which type of doctor preforms chalazion removals?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Aug 20, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.