U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Columbia, SC
A 38-year-old female asked:

2nd toe crossing over.ortho pa says wait and see if it progresses to hammertoe/can't wear normal shoes. is there anything to prevent those outcomes?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 29 years experience
Wait?: Not sure i agree with "wait" you already have a problem. Crossover toe deformities are usually a structural problem that often can not be treated conservatively. You could wear high toe box or spandex shoes to accomodate the problem but my recommendation would be surgical correction.
Dr. David Moats
Podiatry 37 years experience
Gels sleeves/splints: There are gel sleeves for the toes to reduce the rubbing of the toe on shoe or the big toe as well as splints to pull the toe down and or over. However, in my experience most of the time these need surgical straightening.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Apr 10, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.