Columbia, SC

2nd toe crossing over.ortho pa says wait and see if it progresses to hammertoe/can't wear normal shoes. is there anything to prevent those outcomes?

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
Wait?: Not sure i agree with "wait" you already have a problem. Crossover toe deformities are usually a structural problem that often can not be treated conservatively. You could wear high toe box or spandex shoes to accomodate the problem but my recommendation would be surgical correction.
Dr. David Moats
Podiatry 36 years experience
Gels sleeves/splints: There are gel sleeves for the toes to reduce the rubbing of the toe on shoe or the big toe as well as splints to pull the toe down and or over. However, in my experience most of the time these need surgical straightening.