U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 31-year-old female asked:

Abdo abscess fever post op last night it rupture now i have large hole in wound vac site. surgeon won't listen, won't see me till 21st what should ido?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Crystal Twynham
General surgery, Breast Surgery, Cancer Surgery, Bariatric (weight loss) surgery, Endocrine surgery, Minimally invasive surgery 35 years experience
Go to the ER: If you have a postoperative abdominal abscess, fever, and the abscess has ruptured into your would VAC, you need to be seen in the ER. There can be complications of just letting this sit; perhaps your surgeon doesn't understand your words, and another doctor telling him/her what is seen will stimulate attention to what is clearly distressing and scary to you. Good luck!!!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Herman Hammerstead
A Verified Doctoranswered
Trauma Surgery 52 years experience
Second Opinion: Go to ER for evaluation and get the name of another surgeon for a second opinion. As a former Trauma surgeon I would have seen you that day or the next morning,probably not emergent but needs immediate attention. The problem probably cured itself by draining, but it still needs to be seen by a doc.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Apr 24, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.