Clarksville, IN

What should my calorie intake be to lose weight? my first doctor said 1200 but calculators say 2100. 310lbs 5'3" female 22 years old. thank you!

It depends on the: desired rate of loss. Bottom line is that there are about 3,500 calories per pound. It you eat far too few calories - it will actually cause your metabolic rate to slow (bad thing). In general - slower rate of loss is better. AND don't forget about exercise. Take care.
Dr. Michael Roman
Take : In less than what you burn off. Need to follow calories in. As well as calories burned off. If you are taking in 1200 but burning off 900. Still will have issues losing weight. So eat healthy and exercise. And watch calories at both ends
Dr. Shari Schabowski
Specializes in Emergency Medicine
It depends: Do you want to sustain your weight or lose weight? It may be best to consider weight loss since a 5'3" frame will have diffculty sustaining that weight over time without joint damage. Your calorie recommendations are extremes on a spectrum. I would suggest starting at 2500 carefullly counted for 2 months are drop by 100 every 2 months until you get to 1500. Return to 1800 when at goal weight.

Last updated Sep 29, 2016