Australia

How much can hgh make my daughter grow? (bone age 15), she is 13 currently. her endocrinologist says it is pretty much useless. is that true?

Dr. Nour Baltagi
Bone age: With more advanced bone age there is less chance to grow taller with growth hormone as there are changes in the bones that preclude more growth in length . At any rate we need to do multiple studies to decide for a trial of HGH although it seems to be less likely useful in your daughter
Dr. Nguyen Nguyen
How tall is she? It is more important to help her accept her height no matter how short she may be. Encourage her to develop skills and character rather than focus on her shortcomings (no pun intended). Being a short person myself, I grew up keenly aware of my size, but did not let it influence my future. I agree that HGH is not indicated in her case, and it is still very expensive.
Aug 2, 2014
Likely: Bone age is determined by examining the growth centers in the wrist/hand/etc. against population standards. If a kid is HGH deficient, the BA should be younger than actual age. If older, the kid is not deficient and adding extra HGH might finish growth sooner at the expected height. It does not add anything. Most women finish linear growth at 16-17 so her growth centers are starting to close

Last updated Oct 23, 2017