Canada

Are there any other non opiate pain killers besides 'tramadol' to control abdominal and stomach pains?

Dr. John Munshower
Several: There are many pain medications that are not narcotic or opiate medication. The NSAID class for example may help, Acetaminophen may help, anti-spasmodics, muscle relaxants may help. etc. BUT, you first need to be properly diagnosed so the underling cause is revealed and you do not mask pain, which i the bodies way of telling you "something is wrong." Good luck.
Dr. Cynthia Archer
Agreed.
Jul 30, 2014
Dr. Tadge Kanjo
General Surgery 24 years experience
Treat the cause: One of the areas pain killers are the least effective is in the abdomen. More often than not they will worsen the cause of the pain and defeat the purpose. The exception being chronic conditions such as chronic pancreatitis. The best way to deal with abdominal pain is to determine the cause and treat it. Without more information much cannot be said about the actual cause of your pain.
Dr. Cynthia Archer
This is absolutely true. a diagnosis need to be established so the cause can be addressed and targeted selectively. I agree Dr. Kanjo!
Jul 30, 2014
Dr. Michael Roman
There : Are several meds that treat abdominal pain. I'm not sure the exact pain you are having but I would talk to your doctor to get the proper treatment. For example the treatment for an ulcer would be different than the treatment for a muscle pull. So talk to your doctor to get the correct and best treatment
Dr. Cynthia Archer
Agreed.
Jul 30, 2014
Dr. Susan Arnoult
Yes: Smooth muscle relaxers like Bentyl and Levsin (hyoscyamine) can help with abdominal cramping.
Dr. Cynthia Archer
If the pain you have has been diagnosed as related to bowel hyperactivity or irritable bowel syndrome, these medications can be very helpful.
Jul 30, 2014
Dr. Cynthia Archer
Tramadol technically: is an opiate. It is a synthetic opiate receptor binding drug and is effective for mild to moderate pain. There are many modalities for treating pain other than medication alone. If this is a chronic problem you may wish to speak with a pain specialist (in fact I strongly recommend this). NSAIDs like Ibuprofen and Tylenol (acetaminophen) are also helpful for pain, but have significant potential for adverse effect
Dr. Cynthia Archer
Provided original answer
And as many of my colleagues have pointed out correctly, one must have a diagnosis if the treatment is to be meaningful and selective for your problem in particular. Find a good general internist to see you and evaluate your pain if you do not yet have a diagnosis. Best wishes!
Jul 30, 2014

Last updated Aug 2, 2014