Granada Hills, CA

I'm 4 weeks pregnant and i have a kidney infection i was prescribed cephalexin is it safe to take it, i just need reassurance...

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Infectious Disease 24 years experience
Cephalexin safety: Cephalexin is FDA pregnancy category B. Animal studies have not shown any evidence of fetal harm. In humans, the medicine had been used in pregnancy without any evidence of harm to the baby. I think your doctor must have taken this into account because a kidney infection actually puts u and the baby at risk for something bad to happen- so u need the treatment. We call this benefit vs risk.
Last updated Mar 13, 2020