Villanova, PA
A male asked about a 37-year-old female:

I have terrible gi symptoms after i eat clams. md tested my blood and found all mollusks i had an ige of .34 where allergy would be defined at .35. could i become allergic in the future? can it change

Dr. David Houghton
Specializes in Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
Symptoms not labs: Symptoms are more important than IgE levels. If you feel ill when eating clams, don't eat them. The IgE level doesn't predict what might happen in future.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Kristel Hunt
Hepatology 24 years experience
Don't eat them: honestly, whatever the exact cutoff - you are sensitive/allergic to them. easier to avoid. and yes, could get worse with repeated exposures.
Dr. Tinah Canda
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Allergy testing: The accuracy of the available allergy tests is not perfect. And in addition to that allergies can be developed and allergies can be outgrown. It is best to avoid specific allergens if they cause untoward reactions generally.
Last updated Jul 15, 2014