U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 34-year-old female asked:

I used rubbing alcohol to drain ears of water post swimming. now have burning and stabbing sensations in ear for several hours. did i damage them?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joseph Gutman
44 years experience
Well...: It is unlikely that you have irreversible damage. Next time educate yourself as to how to get that water out of your ear. You should dilute the alcohol quite a bit. If by tomorrow you still have all the symptoms and they are not subsiding, you should see a Dr.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Nov 12, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.