Rochester, NY

i'm stage 4 breast cancer. been having pain in ribs/ shoulder for 2 mths. also cancer antigen 27. 29 blood test is back above normal. is cancer back?

Dr. Axel Martinez-Irizarry
See your oncologist.: Stage IV describes invasive breast cancer that has spread beyond the breast and nearby lymph nodes to other organs of the body, such as the lungs, distant lymph nodes, skin, bones, liver, or brain. Talk to your oncologist to determine the extent/ or remission of the cancer. Stage 4 usually means that cancer was not just in the breast area.
Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery 23 years experience
I agree with my colleague above. You may want to consider getting a 2nd opinion at a university based breast center where clinical trials are available. They may be able to put you on a new treatment regimen. Good luck and keep fighting and asking questions to your oncology team.
Jun 15, 2014