what is the statute of limitations regarding "botched" spine orthopedic surgery?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery 49 years experience
Let me explian: The statute of limitations regarding any surgery is two years from the start of the treatment, unless the patient is a child that goes until the child is 18 years old.Thanks.
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Depends: Generally, the statute of limitations is two years after the injury is discovered. However, some states—such as florida—have a further restriction:" …unless there is fraud, concealment, or misrepresentation, under no circumstances may a healthcare provider be sued for medical malpractice more than 4 years after the actual incident of malpractice." —>.
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Provided original answer
May 4, 2012
Dr. Ronald Holzman
Mammography, Breast Ultrasound 47 years experience
Best is to check with a local medical malpractice attorney. Statute of limitations do vary per state. For example New York has a statute of limitations of 2 1/2 years, and As correctly said Florida has a statute of two years. There are exceptions which will extend the statute In some states, therefore it is best to consult with a medical malpractice attorney to get a complete and accurate evaluation as to the statute of limitations.
Jul 21, 2013
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 40 years experience
Check with state: Need to check with your state laws and it usually is different for adults v children.
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery 49 years experience
I agree with the anwser, I was speaking about MI which I prctice in.
Aug 12, 2012
Dr. Peter Ihle
Orthopedic Surgery 54 years experience
In Wisconsin: I believe the statue of limitations is 3 year's from the date of discovery or 3 years after age 18.

Last updated Aug 23, 2020