A member asked:

I have a protruding sternum and wondered about anything that can be done?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Colin Kerr answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Protruding sternum: Protruding sternum is called pectus carinatum ("hull-shaped chest"). It can only be fixed by surgery, and the surgery is only cosmetic (most insurance companies won't pay). The surgery is a large messy cut-all-your-anterior-ribs type surgery, so, unless it is bothering you a lot, the best thing to do is just to live with it.

Answered 11/28/2017


Dr. Eric Toloza answered

Specializes in Thoracic Surgery

Surgery?: Could be corrected surgically, but would be purely cosmetic, which most insurance will not cover.

Answered 5/23/2012



Related Questions

A member asked:

Why my chest protruding..I'm just 16 years oldwhat should I do?

A doctor has provided 1 answer