I'm torn between family medicine and general surgery. which should i choose?

18 doctors weighed in across 7 answers
Dr. Ly Phan answered

Specializes in General Surgery

Gen surgery : If you enjoy hand on approach, and want to see the immediate fruit of your labor, the surgery is where you belong.

Answered 11/6/2013

5.8k views

Dr. Michael Sinclair answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Law School: Managed care has made the practice of medicine much less pleasant. If you still want to be a doctor, ask yourself which is more important to you, your time at work or time not at work. If you like to work a lot, and time away is less important than any medical specialty will probably be ok. If you want to have a life outside of work, pick something with less call and less emergencies. Good luck!

Answered 5/21/2013

5.7k views

Dr. Julia Stanford answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics

Family medicine!: I love the variety of family medicine and you can still do some minor in office procedures. I also think the lifestyle can be nicer. You have some continuity in surgery, but you will have a lot more in fp.

Answered 11/27/2014

5.6k views

Dr. Barry Rosen answered

Specializes in General Surgery

Look Closer: Not sure where you are in your education, but this decision should come pretty easily to you if you spend time w/both specialties since they are quite different (each w/ their pro's & con's). Word to the wise: follow your passion--it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

Answered 2/22/2019

5.6k views

Dr. Thomas Heston answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Check your skills: Choose what you are best at doing, that will give you the greatest satisfaction.

Answered 11/28/2012

5.5k views

Dr. Kevin Hiler answered

Specializes in General Surgery

Go with your gut: Family medicine deals with lots of chronic issues which often have no clear resolution. General surgery focuses on short term problems with a clearer endpoint. If you like process then family medicine is the route for you, if you value clear cut end points then surgery will take you there. Both are great places to go and very rewarding.

Answered 8/27/2013

5.5k views

Dr. Peter Than answered

Specializes in Surgery

Depends on your need: Depends on what you need. If you don't already have a primary care physician, it's probably best to find a family doctor. They'd get to know you over a long period of time and if a surgical condition arose be able to refer you to a surgeon.

Answered 10/23/2015

2.1k views